Six Cleanup Challenge
A New Kind of Cleanup
The Six Cleanup Challenge brings together adventure, volunteerism, and citizen science to challenge San Diegans to go beyond the beach cleanup. San Diego County is home to beautiful beaches, striking coastline, diverse neighborhoods, and secluded urban canyons and parks. With the Six Cleanup Challenge, you get to explore them all while collecting important citizen science data on debris types and concentrations throughout our coastal watersheds.
Check out our Six Cleanup Challenge Info Packet for more details.
How it Works
- Register: Participants can participate in the challenge either solo or as a team. Fill out this form to register.
- Select your six sites: To complete the challenge, you and your team will need to conduct six cleanups from the site list below. There are three categories of cleanup sites: coastal, urban, and inland. Volunteers select two sites from each category.
- Print out your Marine Debris Data Sheets: Fill out one data sheet for each cleanup site. If you’re on a team, submit one data sheet per site as a group.
- Conduct your cleanups: With your group, visit each of your six sites and pick up the debris you find, filling out a Marine Debris Data Sheet as you go. Remember to wear a mask, wash your hands, and keep social distance. You’ll need a reusable bucket or bag and gloves to collect your litter.
- Upload your data: After each cleanup, input the numbers from your data sheet into the online form.
- Bask in your glory and collect your prizes: Once you and your group have completed all six cleanups, send us an email at [email protected] with the sites you cleaned up. We will confirm that you have finished and ask for a mailing address to send your certificate of completion and Coastkeeper stickers to.
Cleanup Site Map
Explore the map for more information about the cleanup sites.
Cleanup Site List
|Coastal (choose two)
|Inland (choose two)
|Urban (choose two)
|Del Dios Gorge
|Carlsbad State Beach
|Moonlight State Beach
|Torrey Pines State Beach/Reserve
|La Jolla Shores
|Mariam Bear Trail
|North Park/South Park
|Downtown San Diego
|Sweetwater Regional Park
|Otay Valley Regional Park