I’m not sure if “brought them to their feet,” “brought them to their knees” or “brought them to tears (of laughter)” more aptly describes executive director
The fundraiser and auction raised more than $110,000 to ensure Coastkeeper can empower our community to make fishable, swimmable and drinkable water throughout
We honored City Councilmember David Alvarez and Pacifica Companies CEO Ashok Israni as the 2011 Coastal Champions. Like so many others in our community, these two gentlemen embody what a diverse set of stakeholders can do together. It’s incredibly fitting that Councilmember Alvarez’s district and some of Pacifica Companies’ projects sit on the shore of San Diego Bay, where Coastkeeper’s attention turned immediately upon closing the Gala doors: to the final hearing about toxic sediment removal from San Diego Bay. This crowning moment in a 20 year battle exemplifies why we need to continue to raise funds for advocacy in
Speaking of champions, I’d like to hand out a few awards of my own.
- Our volunteers, who worked so very, very hard and are the foundation upon which we build our momentum and impact
- IKEA San Diego whose centerpiece donation raised $1,700
- Schmidt Design Group landscape architects whose water lite display spread the message about water-wise gardens in a unique and beautiful new way
David Welborn, our board president, whose ability to rise to the occasion, including a stately introduction of a human-sized crab, astounds me
- The Barnwell Shift, whose music accompanied us throughout the evening:
locals, vehement supporters of Oceanside San Diego Coastkeeperand really great guys
- Kona Brewing Co., St. Petersburg Vodka and OneHOPE Wine, each of which donated their beverages to help us keep costs down and host our guests in style
It’s my job to make sure that Coastkeeper has the resources we need to speak for
Miss the chance to raise your paddle at the Ocean Gala? You can still donate and have your contribution marked a part of this tremendously successful event.