Internship Status: Vacant – Apply Today!
Position available on a rolling basis for those who can commit to a six-month term. Candidates are encouraged to submit a resume, brief cover letter, and a short sample blog post electronically to the volunteer manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Diego Coastkeeper, a non-profit organization working to protect and restore San Diego’s fishable, swimmable, and drinkable water, seeks an energetic, well-organized and self-motivated individual to fill the volunteer position of Beach Cleanup Intern. The intern will be a coordinator for our cleanup programs, manage and recruit volunteers, organize supplies and data, and educate the public about the results of our cleanups.
- Provide support to the marine debris program and staff to organize and host twice-monthly beach cleanups, Sponsored Cleanup Program, and Beach Cleanup in a Box Program
- Keep all beach cleanup supplies organized; maintain inventories of supplies, and report on needs to the internship supervisor
- Assist in planning, promoting, and obtaining permits for community events and cleanups
- Host or co-host large bi-monthly cleanups, communicate instructions to volunteers, and distribute/collect/transport beach cleanup supplies
- Coordinate with community partners to organize sponsored cleanups, host sponsored cleanups (as needed), and generate a brief impact report for partner after cleanup is complete
- Coordinate Beach Cleanup in a Box Program by responding to requests for boxes, packing boxes with supplies, and keeping track of borrowed supplies
- Maintain meticulous database of cleanup results from volunteers’ datasheets
- Track all volunteer hours and maintain Volunteer Hour Tracking Database
- Manage, recruit, and communicate with volunteers for the beach cleanup program
- Keep beach cleanup calendar updated and accurate
- Work with Environmental Education Intern and Outreach and Events Intern to support each other’s projects
- Assist Coastkeeper staff in administrative tasks relation to beach cleanup program and outreach events, as well as in the development of materials pertaining to the cleanup program
- Generate a short monthly blog post featuring a project, experience, or story related to your work with Coastkeeper
Applicants should have experience with outreach, event planning, and volunteer management. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, highly developed organizational skills, and a demonstrated ability to engage, motivate, and manage community volunteers. Experience with Microsoft programs, including Word, Powerpoint, and Excel is required. He or she must be hard-working, self-motivated, demonstrate a deep commitment to and passion for environmental protection, and be able to work independently and prioritize multiple projects. Familiarity with the region’s water issues is preferred, as is Spanish language proficiency. Some level of physical exertion – carrying cleanup supplies, setting up pop-up tent and table on sandy beaches, etc. – is required. Reliable transportation is also required, as much of our work takes place in various beaches around the county – candidate must have the ability to carry, transport, and set up cleanup supplies independently. Candidates must have, or be in the process of obtaining, a college degree, and highest priority will be given to those who must complete an internship for college credit, or have an equally decisive way of verifying a deep commitment to the success of their Coastkeeper internship. Finally, weekend availability, and Saturday mornings in particular, is required.
Salary, Benefits, & Terms
This is an unpaid internship. Priority will be given to candidates seeking an internship to meet a university class or graduation requirement.
10-15 hours per week with varying hours, including occasional evenings and frequent weekends. Can be flexible around work and school schedules, but applicants must commit to at least two days a week in the office, as well as all upcoming scheduled Coastkeeper beach cleanups.
Candidates are encouraged to submit resumes and brief, position-specific cover letters electronically to the internship management team at email@example.com