Coastkeeper hosts educational, volunteer and fundraising events in the fall and winter
SAN DIEGO, Oct. 5, 2011 – This fall and winter, San Diego Coastkeeper, the region’s largest professional environmental organization protecting inland and coastal waters, welcomes residents to attend events and volunteer for clean water.
Coastkeeper offers entertainment and educational events on:
- Nov. 5: 15th Annual Ocean Gala at Westin Gaslamp Quarter. This event will provide an evening of sophisticated dining, recycled art shows, auctions and live entertainment.
- Dec. 6: Signs of the Tide: Put a Lid on Pollution at Electric Ladyland Art and Music Center. Learn about how urban design can help fight San Diego’s largest source of ocean pollution. The event is free and open to the public.
Coastkeeper also gives opportunities to volunteer for its Water Quality Monitoring, Pollution Patrollers and beach cleanup programs.
Water Quality Monitoring, an essential component in establishing water quality trends in the county’s creeks and rivers, will occur on:
- Oct. 15: No training (For return volunteers only). Field session begins at 9 a.m.
- Nov. 19: Volunteer training at 8:30 a.m. Field session at 11 a.m.
- Dec. 17: No training (For return volunteers only). Field session begins at 9 a.m.
Pollution Patrollers, new program training volunteers to identify true pollution incidents and violations of Best Management Practices, will occur on:
- Dec. 1: Pollution Patrollers training from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Beach Cleanups, hosted alongside Surfrider San Diego Chapter, are as follows:
- Oct. 8: Tijuana River Action Month – Cleanup at Dairy Mart Rd
- Oct. 15: Tijuana River Action Month – Cleanup at Dairy Mart Rd hosted by Coastkeeper and 101KGB
- Oct. 22: Torrey Pines State Beach Cleanup
- Nov. 12: Cardiff State Beach Cleanup
- Nov. 26: Ocean Beach Jetty Cleanup
- Dec. 10: Imperial Beach Pier Cleanup
For more information about the events, visit Coastkeeper’s website at localhost/sdcoastkeeper or email Erin Reynante at [email protected].
# # #
Founded in 1995, San Diego Coastkeeper protects the region’s bays, beaches, watersheds and ocean for the people and wildlife that depend on them. We balance community outreach, education, and advocacy to promote stewardship of clean water and a healthy coastal ecosystem.