San Diego Coastkeeper, a non-profit organization working to protect and restore water across San Diego, seeks an energetic, self-motivated individual to support the resource development team with non-profit management duties, including assisting with developing and implementing the individual donor program; researching grant funding opportunities from corporate, foundation, and government entities; and assisting to the planning and organizing of the organization’s annual fundraiser: Seaside Soiree. Additionally, this intern will help coordinate other fundraising efforts related to marketing and communications, database management, and donor relations. This position reports to the development manager. Successful candidates will be excellent communicators, demonstrate attention to detail, and pride themselves on their organization skills. The intern must be comfortable working as part of a team, but also thrive in an autonomous, unsupervised environment. This is an excellent position for anyone looking to gain concrete experience with non-profit management, event planning, and fundraising.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Assist in designing and sending various customized donor letters, including donation acknowledgment letters, donor thank you note cards, donor renewal letters, and annual appeals
- Assist in researching donor swag and marketing materials options; maintaining up-to-date donor swag and marketing materials inventories
- Compiling and mailing donor/membership packages
- Assisting with managing and updating the donor database
- Other resource development duties as needed, such as developing social media content and blog posts, and general duties such as filing and copying
- Researching and identifying new corporate, foundation, and government funding sources and developing brief reports on each opportunity
- Assisting in the development and preparation of grant application materials
- Maintaining accurate records by filing electronic and hard copies of all grant application materials
Seaside Soiree Event Support
- Assist in developing and implementing all facets of event sponsorship plan
- Assist in cultivating and supporting the Honorary Host Committee
- Create engaging content for use in event communications and social media platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency with Google Drive and Microsoft Office applications is required. Familiarity with donor databases, such as Salesforce, is a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain schedules and timelines
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Demonstrated interest in, and knowledge of, local environmental issues and environmental nonprofits is a plus
- Prior experience with event planning a plus
Founded in 1995, San Diego Coastkeeper protects and restores fishable, swimmable, drinkable water in San Diego County. San Diego Coastkeeper’s staff includes legal, science and program staff, supported by numerous highly-trained interns and volunteers.
This is an unpaid internship. Priority will be giving to applicants seeking an internship to meet a college graduation or credit requirement.
10-15 hours per week with varying hours. Occasional weekends and evenings may be required. Exact schedule can be flexible around work and school schedules, but applicants should be able to commit to working with San Diego Coastkeeper for at least three months. Start and end dates are flexible.
To Apply: Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates should be able to commit to a minimum three-month term, and priority will be given to applicants who can commit to a six-month term. Start and end dates are flexible. Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and brief, position-specific cover letter electronically to the development team at [email protected].