A New Kind of Cleanup
The Six Cleanup Challenge brings together adventure, volunteerism, and citizen science to challenge San Diegans to go beyond the beach cleanup. San Diego County is home to beautiful beaches, striking coastline, diverse neighborhoods, and secluded urban canyons and parks. With the Six Cleanup Challenge, you get to explore them all while collecting important citizen science data on debris types and concentrations throughout our coastal watersheds.
Check out our Six Cleanup Challenge Info Packet for more details.
How It Works
- Register: Participants can register to participate in the challenge either solo or in a team. Fill out this form to register.
- Download Litterati: Litterati is an app that allows you to count and categorize debris. Its powerful image recognition technology means you simply take a photo of the trash you find, as opposed to recording your observations by hand. At least one person in the team will need to have a smartphone with the Litterati app downloaded. Enter the Six Cleanup Challenge – San Diego code: 600312 to get started.
- Select your six sites: In order to successfully complete the challenge, you and your team will need to conduct six cleanups from the site list below. Cleanup sites are categorized into three groups: coastal, urban, and inland. Volunteers select two sites from each category. The site code next to the name is what you will enter into Litterati when you start your cleanup.
- Conduct your cleanups: With your group, visit each of your six sites and pick up the debris you find, using your smart device to simply take pictures of the debris you collect, as you go. After each cleanup, submit your results in Litterati – enter the code for the location you cleaned up, upload your debris photos, and tag each item using Litterati’s AI system. You have one year from the date of your first cleanup to conduct all six cleanups! Need help? Check out our Litterati ‘How to’ Guide or other resources in the tab below.
- Bask in your glory and collect your prizes: Once you and your group have completed all six cleanups, send us an email at [email protected] with the sites you cleaned up. We will confirm that you have finished and ask for a mailing address to send your certificate of completion and Coastkeeper stickers to.