World Oceans Day, on June 8, is a day to celebrate the Big Blue and all it provides, from food and fun to fresh air and jobs. San Diego Coastkeeper is offering a couple of ways to celebrate our ocean (and our MPAs!):
- UCSD, Scripps Institution of Oceanography and Coastkeeper are celebrating the new stormwater treatment installations at Scripps Institution of Oceanography on World Oceans Day (June 8). The event highlights ocean pollution prevention in La Jolla and includes guest speakers and a tour of the installations. Please email me if you’d like to attend.
- World Oceans Day party at Hennessey’s Tavern La Jolla (June 8) – join us for food and drink specials, games, live music and good times
- Go Blue Day at PETCO Park (June 9) – the Padres are going blue for World Oceans Day! Don’t forget to buy your tickets!
Now for MPA status:
- We are waiting to hear the South Coast MPA implementation date from the Fish & Game Commission, but it’s likely to take place this fall.
- Work continues to plan protections for California’s far north coast, with the community’s landmark unified plan currently under review by the California Fish and Game Commission.
- The central part of our coast is already dotted with undersea parks, which scientists are currently studying to monitor the recovery of local sea life. The experiences from the Central Coast will help the South Coast in implementing and monitoring our MPAs.