Big cleanups. Small cleanups. Private cleanups, too. We have a variety of ways to help remove pesky trash before it infiltrates our inland and coastal waters. Continue reading about our programs or jump ahead to:
And you can skip straight to our beach cleanup data, too.
Do you love playing on San Diego’s beaches? So do we, which is why San Diego Coastkeeper and the San Diego Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation joined environmental forces to bring San Diego monthly beach cleanups. These twice-a-month beach cleanups held across the county help us protect and preserve San Diego’s ocean, one of our most valuable assets.
Check our events calendar to find the next date and corresponding location including directions, and download this participation liability waiver. You can also download the entire 2014 beach cleanup calendar complete with directions.
Remember these important beach cleanup tips:
- BYOBG: Yup, bring your own reusable bucket and reusable gloves. Let’s not create trash to pick up trash.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toed shoes: You’ll be walking the beach, including rocky terrain.
- Bring sunscreen: Protect yourself while protecting the ocean.
- Bring water: And please, please, please don’t bring it in a single-use plastic bottle (How about a nice metal canteen?).
- Print, sign and bring this liability waiver form (parents MUST sign for kids under 18).
- Check the events calendar before the cleanup for updates, info on volunteer benefits and instructions for rare San Diego rain storms.
Can’t join us for the scheduled monthly beach cleanups? Your group can organize its own beach cleanup. Beach Cleanup in A Box and Sponsored Cleanups are fun ways for your group to begin volunteering in the local community. (return to top)
Beach Cleanup Groups Larger than 25 volunteers
How kind of you to coordinate a beach cleanup group that is so large. Coastkeeper hearts you. If you want to attend one of our regularly scheduled monthly beach cleanups, please email us ahead of time.
If you want to organize a private function, have you considered our Beach Cleanup in a Box or Sponsored Cleanup programs. (return to top)
We recommend Coastkeeper’s Beach Cleanup in a Box, a convenient do-it-yourself program that provides you all the necessary tools and instructions to organize a cleanup of your own in your community. It’s perfect for nonprofits, community centers, churches, family reunions and other smaller groups seeking ways to give back to their community and looking for Earth-friendly team building exercises.
Rally the troops at your job to host a special corporate beach cleanup—they are a great way to involve your employees or coworkers in an important environmental hands-on program to teach them about pollution and how to prevent it. Of course, our corporate friends are welcome at our monthly cleanups, too.