January 29 - Coastkeeper Opens Coastal 2013 Champions Nominations
Organization will hold awards breakfast in honor of World Ocean's Day.
SAN DIEGO, January 29, 2013 – San Diego Coastkeeper announced its annual Coastal Champions nominations, celebrating the people, businesses and organizations taking initiative in protecting and restoring San Diego County’s waters. On June 4, honoring World Oceans Day, Coastkeeper will announce seven winners who demonstrated leadership in different areas of water protection.
The awards include:
- Runoff Rock Star: This award is for actions taken to reduce urban runoff through best practices, such as low impact development, pollution prevention and urban waste reduction.
- Water Wise: This award is for achievement in water-friendly landscaping techniques, such as water conservation and the use of methods to promote healthy environmental restoration with native plants and natural growth.
- Marine Conservation: This award recognizes efforts to advocate for ocean conservation programs, including the monitoring and implementing of techniques and innovations dealing with marine protected areas (MPAs) or other conservation areas of concern.
- Find & Fix: This award is for the success in a program, project or idea that first finds a pollution problem, and then takes action to fix that pollution problem in the community.
- Blue Tech: The nomination goes to exceptional innovation in the development and or use of technology to protect and restore fishable, swimmable drinkable waters in San Diego County.
- Lighthouse Award: This award is for a lifetime achievement in advancing fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County. Coastkeeper's board of directors will select the award recipient.
- Volunteer of the Year: This award recognizes the efforts of one of our many volunteers who have gone above and beyond. Coastkeeper staff will select this recipient.
- ASBS Award: San Diego has two recognized Areas of Special Biological Significance (ASBS) in need of special water quality protections. The ASBS Award is a special recognition, in addition to one of the above awards, for effort and achievement to improve water quality of ASBS.
Save the date for the awards breakfast at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla on June 4, 2013.
For nominations and tickets, sign up for Coastkeeper’s newsletter. Check back on February 1 at Coastkeeper’s World Oceans Day and Coastal Champions 2013 page for more details.
For more information, please visit www.sdcoastkeeper.org.
San Diego Coastkeeper
Founded in 1995, San Diego Coastkeeper protects and restores fishable, swimmable and drinkable waters in San Diego County. For more information, visit San Diego Coastkeeper online at http://www.sdcoastkeeper.org.