The organization will hold the awards breakfast on World Oceans Day
SAN DIEGO, March 26, 2011 – San Diego Coastkeeper announced today its annual Coastal Champions nominations, celebrating the people, businesses and organizations taking initiative in protecting and restoring San Diego County’s waters. On June 8, 2012, from 7:30 a.m. – 9:00a.m., during the official World Oceans Day, Coastkeeper will announce seven winners, who demonstrated leadership in different areas of water protection.
The awards include:
- Runoff Rockstar. This award is for the actions taken to reduce urban runoff through best practices, including but not limited to, low impact development, pollution prevention and urban waste reduction.
- Water Wise. The award goes to the achievements through water-friendly landscaping techniques such as water conservation and the use of methods to promote healthy environmental restoration with native plants and natural growth.
- Marine Conservation. The award recognizes efforts to advocate for, monitor and/or implement ocean conservation programs, techniques and innovations including those dealing with marine protected areas (MPAs) or other conservation areas of concern.
- Find & Fix. This nomination is for the success in a program, project or idea that first finds a pollution problem and then takes action to fix that pollution problem in the community.
- Blue Tech. The nomination goes to exceptional innovation in the development and/or use of technology to protect and restore fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County.
- Lighthouse Award. This award is for a lifetime achievement to advance fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County. This awardee will be selected by San Diego Coastkeeper’s Board of Directors.
- ASBS Award. San Diego has two recognized Areas of Special Biological Significance (ASBS) or biological hotspots in need of special water quality protections, off the shores of La Jolla. The ASBS Award is special recognition in addition to one of the above awards for effort and achievement to improve the water quality of these ASBS in order to protect the wildlife and natural ecosystems in these precious and fragile areas.
Save the date for the awards breakfast at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla on June 8, 2012, from 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
For nominations and tickets, sign up for Coastkeeper’s newsletter and check back on April 1 at Coastkeeper’s World Oceans Day and Coastal Champions 2012 page for more details.
If you are interested in the sponsorship opportunities, want to name an award, reserve a table or place your name on the nomination materials, please contact San Diego Coastkeeper Development Director Megan Baehrens through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 619-758-7743 ext. 103.
For more information on the event, please visit localhost/sdcoastkeeper.
SAN DIEGO COASTKEEPER: Founded in 1995, San Diego Coastkeeper protects and restores fishable, swimmable and drinkable waters in San Diego County. Visit us online at http://localhost/sdcoastkeeper.