Big cleanups. Small cleanups. Private cleanups, too. Here at San Diego Coastkeeper, we offer a variety of ways for you to lend a hand picking up trash from our beaches and waterways. By attending a beach cleanup, you can have an immediate positive impact on our environment by removing trash before it infiltrates our inland and coastal waters.
One thing all our cleanups have in common is the data sheet. We collect data from all our cleanups that we use to analyze the state of San Diego beaches every year. This is why our cleanups are so much more than beach beautification activities – they are a way to prevent marine debris and participate in an ongoing study about the origins, quantities and types of trash on our beaches.
Our three types of cleanups include:
Curious about the results of our cleanups? Check out our beach cleanup data page.
To participate, simply choose the cleanup you’d like to attend from our 2018 cleanup schedule, show up at the meeting location as described, look for the Coastkeeper or Surfrider tent, and sign in. At the sign-in table we’ll have you sign a waiver (or drop off one you’ve filled out at home), take a cleanup data card, and lend you cleanup supplies in case you aren’t able to bring your own.
We love playing on San Diego’s beaches and we know you do too. Keeping those beaches clean is one of our top priorities, which is why we’ve teamed up with Surfrider Foundation San Diego Chapter to host regular beach cleanups across San Diego County. These cleanups – usually two to four per month – are free and open to the public, and provide a great way for people to have an immediate, positive impact on our coastal environment.
If you plan on attending one of our public beach cleanups, remember these important tips:
- If possible, bring your own reusable bucket and reusable gloves. We’ll provide trash bags and disposable gloves for folks who don’t have their own buckets and gardening gloves, but bringing your own tools is a great way to help reduce the amount of waste we create…picking up trash.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes: You’ll be walking along the beach, including sandy and rocky terrain.
- Wear sun protection: A hat, sunscreen, and light long sleeves. Remember to protect yourself while protecting the ocean.
- Bring water: Hydration is key, but please, please do not bring it in a single-use plastic bottle. We find too many of those on the beach already and reusable bottles rock.
- For quicker sign-in, print, sign and bring this liability waiver when you come to the cleanup. Anyone under 18 must have a guardian signature in order to participate, and anyone under 16 needs a guardian in attendance at the cleanup itself. We’ll have waivers available at the registration table for folks who can’t complete one at home.
- Check the events calendar or our Facebook page before the cleanup for updates, especially in the event of rain.
- Check out the debris data card. Volunteers fill these out at every cleanup, so familiarizing yourself with it beforehand is a good way to ensure accuracy in your debris counts.
If you plan on bringing a group of more than 25 people to a public cleanup, please email us in advance so that we can try to accommodate the increased supply needs. Groups larger than 25 are are encouraged to check out our Sponsored Cleanup options. Sponsored Cleanups are private functions where you and your group will have the full attention and support of Coastkeeper staff. (return to top)
Rally the troops at your place of work to partner with Coastkeeper to host a special corporate cleanup – they are a great way to involve your employees or coworkers in an important hands-on environmental program and have an immediate impact on water quality in San Diego. The data collection element included in all Coastkeeper cleanups make this event an exercise in communication and teamwork as well, and give us the ability to provide your group with a specific information about the impact your team had during your cleanup.
Your company’s donation to Coastkeeper goes directly to supporting our clean water programs in San Diego, and gives us the time we need to tailor a cleanup unique to your group. Coastkeeper’s cleanup experts will work with you to create a cleanup event that both meets your specific needs and maximizes your impact on the coastal environment. Additionally, involvement in Coastkeeper’s corporate beach cleanup program will enhance the image of your company as a positive contributor to the community and local environment.
Beach Cleanup in a Box
If you can’t make one of our twice-monthly public cleanups but are still committed to helping protect San Diego’s oceans and waterways, we recommend Coastkeeper’s do-it-yourself option: Beach Cleanup in a Box.
Through the Beach Cleanup in a Box program, we let community members borrow our cleanup supplies to conduct small-scale cleanups of their own. Coastkeeper will pack a cleanup kit for your group of up to 25 people, complete with all the necessary supplies and instructions to organize a cleanup in your own community, on the sole condition that you collect data from your cleanup and return that data to us when you return the supplies. Data sheets are provided.
This is a great option for nonprofits, community centers, churches, family reunions, university service organizations and other small groups seeking a way to give back to their communities through Earth-friendly team-building exercises. Please note that because this is an unsupervised, do-it-yourself volunteer option, San Diego Coastkeeper is not able to offer community service verification forms for groups using Beach Cleanup in a Box. If you need verified volunteer hours, please attend one of our hosted public beach cleanups, where Coastkeeper staff is in attendance. For more information, download our Beach Cleanup in a Box manual.
Please fill out the form below to request a Beach Cleanup in a Box kit. Requests will be accommodated on a first-come-first-serve basis and are subject to availability of supplies. At least two weeks of advance notice is recommended. You can expect a reply from our beach cleanup representative within three business days of submitting the form below. (return to top)