Organization to hold awards breakfast in honor of World Oceans Day
San Diego, April 21-San Diego Coastkeeper has opened the nomination process to select winners for its annual Coastal Champions awards. The Coastal Champion awards celebrate the people, businesses and organizations who take initiative to protect and restore San Diego County’s waters. As in past years, winners will be announced at an event on June 13 in honor of World Oceans Day.
The awards include:
• Runoff Rock Star: This award is for actions taken to reduce urban runoff through best practices, such as low impact development, pollution prevention and urban waste reduction.
• Water Wise: This award is for achievement in water-friendly landscaping techniques, such as water conservation and the use of methods to promote healthy environmental restoration with native plants and natural growth.
• Marine Conservation: This award recognizes efforts to advocate for ocean conservation, including techniques and innovations related to marine protected areas (MPAs) or other conservation areas of concern.
• Find & Fix: This award is for the success in a program, project or idea that first finds a pollution problem, and then takes action to fix that pollution problem in the community.
• Blue Tech: The nomination goes to exceptional innovation in the development and/or use of technology to protect and restore fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County.
• Lighthouse Award: This award is for a lifetime achievement in advancing fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County. Coastkeeper’s board of directors will select the award recipient.
• Volunteer of the Year: This award recognizes the efforts of one of our many volunteers who have gone above and beyond. Coastkeeper staff will select this recipient.
• ASBS Award: San Diego has two Areas of Special Biological Significance (ASBS) singled out for special water quality protections. The ASBS Award is a special recognition, in addition to one of the above awards, for effort and achievement to improve water quality of ASBS.
Save the date for the awards breakfast at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla on June 13, 2014.
For nominations and tickets, sign up for Coastkeeper’s newsletter. Get your introduction letter, nomination form and more information online at Coastkeeper’s World Oceans Day and Coastal Champions 2014 webpage.
If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities or want to reserve a table, please contact San Diego Coastkeeper Executive Director Megan Baehrens at email@example.com or call at 619-758-7743 ext. 103.
For more information, please visit localhost/sdcoastkeeper.
San Diego Coastkeeper
Founded in 1995, San Diego Coastkeeper protects the region’s bays, beaches, watersheds and ocean for the people and wildlife that depend on them. We balance community outreach, education, and advocacy to promote stewardship of clean water and a healthy coastal ecosystem. For more information, visit San Diego Coastkeeper online at http://localhost/sdcoastkeeper.