Internship Status: Open – Accepting Applications
San Diego Coastkeeper, a non-profit organization that protects and restores San Diego’s fishable, swimmable and drinkable water, seeks an energetic, well-organized and self-motivated individual to support our education program. This position reports to the education coordinator and helps implement Project SWELL K-2 and 4-6 grade teacher curriculum with hands-on lessons about local habitats, water science, pollution prevention and the importance of protecting our waterways.
- Visit two to four SDUSD schools per month to teach Project SWELL lessons in classrooms.
- Assist with logistics and planning for school visits, and promotion of professional development workshops.
- Prepare classroom presentations in PowerPoint and/or adapt lessons as needed.
- Support tracking of teacher and student performance and help maintain database for tracking SWELL use and classroom visits follow up.
- Keep inventory of SWELL science kits.
- Assist with staffing/hosting educational booths at fairs, conferences, and other outreach events
- Assist with the development, implementation, and presentation of hands-on lessons for schools and outreach events (science fairs, environmental fairs, etc.) in San Diego County (non-SWELL).
- Support marketing and promotional efforts for the SWELL program through social media, press releases, and the Coastkeeper and SWELL websites
- Generate a monthly blog post featuring a project, experience, or story related to your work with Coastkeeper.
- Generate written content about various science, environmental education, standards and other topics for use in SWELL materials, the Coastkeeper website, etc.
- Assist in the creation of digital materials to support teaching of SWELL in modern classrooms (Videos, infographics, and other audio/visual support).
- Monitor Project SWELL kits usage through email, phone and in person communication with teachers in San Diego Unified School District.
- Assist middle school and high school teachers and students with science projects on request.
- Work with interns and staff to support the educational components of their work.
- Valid CA driver’s license, car insurance, and provide own transportation to/from schools in SDUSD.
- If considered for the position, you will have to obtain and submit background reports as required by the State of CA.
Applicants must be enrolled in college and in the process of obtaining a degree in science and/or education fields, and highest priority will be given to those who must complete an internship for college credit, or have an equally decisive way of verifying a deep commitment to the success of their Coastkeeper internship. Applicants should have experience working with students, excellent oral and written communication skills, highly developed organizational skills, and a demonstrated ability to engage students and teachers alike. Computer proficiency is a must, and graphic and web design skills are desired. Experience with curricula development, marketing, and/or fundraising is also preferred. Candidate must be hard working, motivated, and most importantly, demonstrate a deep commitment and passion for environmental protection and education. Prior to applying for this position, the applicant should familiarize themselves with Project SWELL by visiting the program website at www.projectswell.org.
Salary, Benefits, and Terms
Schedule: 10 – 15 hours per week with varying hours, including occasional evenings and weekends. Can be flexible around work and school schedules, but applicants must commit to at least two days a week in the office, as well as a majority of educational outreach events/presentations. School or after school hours are often required.
Compensation: Unpaid. Intern will receive at least 120 hours of internship time towards a university major or graduation requirement. Intern will also receive a mileage reimbursement for travel to classroom presentations within San Diego Unified School District.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume, brief cover letter, and a short blog-style writing sample electronically to the internship management team at firstname.lastname@example.org.