Reduce Office Waste
We need to break the cycle in our office place when it comes to using non-renewable products and paper. A typical business office will produce about 1.5 pounds of paper waste per employee each day.
At San Diego Coastkeeper, our staff enjoys reducing waste from our coastal beaches to the office. Here are the ten favorite ways staff reduces waste in our environment while saving pennies at the workplace.
- Put your office printer on default to print in black-and-white and low-quality on double-sided paper.
- Collect any single-sided papers and use them as scrap paper.
- Put corporate documents online for anyone to refer to at any time; try to not print them.
- Use online calendars like Google Calendar or one on your phone instead of buying a paper one.
- Bring reusable water bottles and food containers to work and give our re-usable water bottles for holiday and birthday gifts.
- Install a recycling can at the office if you do not have one, and an e-waste recycle bin (for batteries and electronics) that you donate to Best Buy every month.
- Turn off the light in your office completely and remind others to do the same.
- For coffee machine at work, use reusable cups and no single-use cups.
- When you have a meeting, have a glass pitcher with glass cups for water.
- Ban plastic and plastic foam products at work if you can.