Reduce Office Waste
We need to break the cycle in our office place when it comes to using non-renewable products and paper. A typical business office will produce about 1.5 pounds of paper waste per employee each day.
At San Diego Coastkeeper, our staff enjoys reducing waste from our coastal beaches to the office. Here are the 21 favorite ways staff reduces waste in our environment while saving pennies at the workplace.
1. Put your office printer on default to print double-sided paper.
2. Collect any single-sided papers and use them as scrap paper.
3. Use 100% recycled “green” paper for the printer.
4. Print on lower quality option to save ink.
5. Turn office computers off after use or at least the monitor.
6. Use online calendars like Google Calendar or one on your phone instead of buying a paper one.
7. Donate plastic foam peanuts to packaging or shipping stores.
8. Bring reusable water bottles and food containers to work.
9. Install a recycling can at the office if you do not have one.
10. Turn off the light in your office completely and remind others to do the same.
11. Put corporate documents online for anyone to refer to at any time; try to not print them.
12. Upgrade and repair your computer instead of buying new ones.
13. For coffee machine at work, use reusable cups and no single-use cups.
14. Have office condiments in the kitchen bought in advance.
15. Compost organic waste instead of throwing it away to the regular trash. You can use it for plants in the office.
16. When you have a meeting, have a glass pitcher with glass cups for water.
17. Have a water cooler at the office.
18. To encourage less use of plastic, give out reusable water bottles to employees for holidays.
19. Have a bin to recycle e-waste (batteries, etc.) and give it out to Best Buy every month.
20. Project the agenda on the wall instead of printing it out.
21. Ban plastic and plastic foam products at work if you can.