Internship Status: Currently accepting applicants
San Diego Coastkeeper, a non-profit organization working to protect and restore San Diego’s fishable, swimmable, and drinkable water, seeks an energetic, well-organized and self-motivated individual to support and further out outreach goals. This position reports to the Community Engagement Coordinator, and helps coordinate outreach events, manage volunteers, and educate the public about Coastkeeper’s work in the region.
- Assist with preparation and hosting for various outreach events (weekends often required)
- Follow up with all volunteers attending events hosted by San Diego Coastkeeper
- Keep all outreach materials organized; maintain inventories of materials and report on material needs to Community Engagement Coordinator
- Assist Community Engagement Coordinator in Water Quality Monitoring trainings and events (as needed)
- Support Beach Cleanup Intern and Community Engagement Coordinator with all cleanup events (typically twice a month on weekends and once or twice during the week, depending on schedule)
- Work with Environmental Education Intern to develop and improve education-focused outreach materials
- Provide support to staff with administrative tasks
- Maintain regular contact with active volunteers and provide regular updates on upcoming opportunities. Keep outreach event calendar updated.
- Track volunteer hours for all events and maintain Volunteer Hour Tracking Database
- Solicit volunteer help for all major San Diego Coastkeeper events and coordinate volunteer participation
- Assist in the development and improvement of outreach activities
- Generate a monthly blog post featuring a project, experience, or story related to your work with Coastkeeper
Applicants should have experience with community organizing, event planning and environmental awareness. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, highly developed organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to motivate community volunteers. He or she must be hard working, self motivated, and most importantly, must demonstrate a deep commitment and passion for environmental protection. Familiarity with the region’s water issues and the policies surrounding them is preferred, as is Spanish-language proficiency. Some level of physical exertion – carrying cleanup supplies, setting up outreach booth events, etc. – is required. Reliable transportation is also required, as much of our work takes place in various locations around the county. Candidates must have, or be in the process of obtaining, a college degree, and highest priority will be given to those who must complete an internship for college credit, or have an equally decisive way of verifying a deep commitment to the success of their Coastkeeper internship.
Salary, Benefits, & Terms
This is an unpaid internship.
Schedule – 10-15 hours per week with varying hours, including some evenings and weekends, especially Saturday mornings. Can be flexible around work and school schedules, but applicants must commit to the vast majority of Coastkeeper beach cleanups, outreach events, and volunteer trainings. Regularly scheduled office time, at least two days a week, is also required. The applicant should be able to commit to working with San Diego Coastkeeper for six months. Start and end dates are flexible with school schedules.
This position is open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to submit a resume, brief cover letter and a short sample blog post electronically to the community engagement coordinator at email@example.com.